Create the Perfect Gift for the Handyman Dad this Father’s Day
By Tina Jepson
As a kid, I regularly woke up on weekend mornings to the sound of some sort of power tool. My dad, a jack-of-all-trades, spent virtually all his free time on home improvement. To this day, he takes so much pride in his home and he’s always trying to make it better. From sunup to sundown, the man is always working around the house.
And every Father’s Day, I struggle to find a gift for a man who has every tool under the sun.
If your dad, husband, or father figure is anything like my dad, then I bet you’re often at a loss when it comes time to choose the perfect Father’s Day gift. But instead of purchasing yet another multi-purpose tool, special tool belt, or high-tech tape measure, consider something a bit more personal and unique.
This Father’s Day, make your dad something he’ll use and that’s reflective of your relationship, such as this personalized hammer.
• A wood-handled hammer, mallet, or another similar hand tool. Don’t worry if it has a coating of varnish. You can still work with it!
• A wood-burning tool that reaches at least 900°F and has a heat shield
• Multiple interchangeable tips such as a universal point, flow point, and cone point.
• Tape (any kind)
• Writing utensil such as a black marker
• Clean rag
• White distilled vinegar
1. After gathering your materials, clean the surface of the wood handle with a clean rag and white vinegar. Wipe dry.
2. Insert your preferred wood-burning tool tip into the tool using pliers. Turn on and allow 5-10 minutes for it to heat up.
3. While you’re waiting, sketch a special message for your father on the handle using a dark marker.
4. Once the tool is completely heated (you’ll notice that the tip turns a light purple color), test how the tool and tip work on your medium by pressing it gently into a discrete area of the tool, such as the base. This will give you a good idea of how much pressure and time is necessary for the wood you’re working with.
5. Then, carefully begin to trace over your letters using the wood-burning tool, paying close attention to curves and lines. If you’re using a universal point, consider switching over to a cone point or flow point to create dots and intricate details.
• Helpful hint: Don’t make the mistake of changing the tip while it’s still hot. Instead, unplug the tool and wait at least 5 minutes before using pliers to switch it out.
6. Depending on the quality of your wood-burning tool, you may need to take frequent breaks to give the tool time to reheat. You’ll know it’s time for a 1-2 minute rest if your tool doesn’t burn quickly or evenly. While it’s resting, check to make sure the tip is clean, and CAUTIOUSLY wipe it with a rag.
7. Once you’ve completed the project, unplug the wood-burning tool and allow both it and the newly-personalized tool to cool.
8. Especially if you burned wood that was coated with some sort of varnish, you may notice that a slight tan tinge around your lettering. If this bothers you, use a cleaning eraser sponge and scrub thoroughly.
9. Otherwise, dip a clean rag in some white distilled vinegar and give it one last scrub.
You now have a tool your handyman father figure is bound to use AND enjoy.
Let’s be honest, if you’re anything like me and lack either patience or creativity, the lettering may not come out perfect and you’re bound to have an imperfection or two. But guess what? Your dad isn’t going to care. You made a thoughtful gift, and he’s gonna love it.
Are you making your dad something special this Father’s Day? Let us know about it in the comments below.
Images used with permission, courtesy of Tina Jepson
If your home is cluttered with items, create an effective drop point where you keep essential items free from the mess. It can be tricky to keep your drop point neat since items such as bills, mail and electronics tend to pile up and take over your space. But, with these tips it'll look great.Kimberly Norton16 June 2018
Track lighting might seem outdated but with these design ideas you can make your home look gorgeous and bright. Learn the best and most functional ways to use track lighting around your home. They're one of the most versatile light fixtures and can easily add beauty to your home.Bob Smith06 June 2017
Are you looking for a change from your dull and boring nightstand? Use your imagination and these ideas to create your own fun and trendy nightstands from items you have at home. You don't need to have experience in interior design to make your own unique and decorative nightstand.Elizabeth Meachum09 July 2018
Before winter settles in you should insulate your windows to avoid getting a costly energy bill. It's easy to do and saves you a tremendous amount of money. Follow these suggestions and you won't have any concerns about a high energy bill or feeling chilly inside your home.Cynthia Breedlove20 November 2016
Design your hallway so it's not only functional but also stylish. With some paintings or photos your hallway will suddenly become more appealing and engaging. Check out these ideas on the best ways to add flair and variety to your hallway/entryway. It's easy and will quickly boost your home's look.Shannon Mayne10 September 2021
Spiraled trees can quickly boost your home's curb appeal. If you can't afford to buy one use these great landscaping tips to make your own. You need to put in a ton of effort and it'll add beauty and warmth to your yard. Find out how to easily create a spiral tree perfect for the spring time.Debra Dennis04 September 2021
Before going away there's some important things you need to do around your home to avoid having a surprise once you come home. With these helpful tips you'll easily be able to prepare your space for any vacation and won't have any issues once you come home.Betty Malley02 September 2021
A pond or waterfall allows you to enjoy the warm weather and gives your yard more beauty. It requires work but it'll be worth it once you're done. Follow these steps and in no time you'll have a soothing and quaint backyard perfect for relaxing on a warm day.Brian Radtke15 August 2021
Outdoor showers allow you to rinse off in the warm weather and not track dirt or mud inside your home. They're great for coming back from a day at the beach. If you're unsure how to install one use these tips for advice and learn how they're very convenient and easy to install.Brian Radtke14 August 2021