DIY Landscaping Tips to Achieve the Look of Spiraled Trees Cheaply
Spring is here and it’s time for YARDWORK. I know what you're thinking: “Who likes yardwork?” My answer: You do! Or at least you will when you discover that you’re better at it than you thought!
Landscaping your property can be difficult if you don’t know some simple tips and tricks to help you on your way. I have the inside knowledge to make your front yard the envy of the whole neighborhood.
A great way to add to your home’s curb appeal and give it a high-end look is to bring in a spiraled tree or two. No, it doesn't have to cost you an arm and a leg to purchase and maintain a spiraled tree, because I'm going to teach you how to do the “heavy lifting.”
If you want to create a spiral tree, purchase an Emerald Green arborvitae tree. A 6-foot Emerald Green arborvitae should only cost about $30-40, and may be even cheaper if you purchase it from a local farmer. You don't even have to wait to plant your tree to begin spiraling it. You can do the twist as soon as you bring your tree home or wait until it's planted in the ground. But in my experience, it’s best to spiral your tree after you plant it so that your arboreal artpiece is consistent with its surrounding space.
Now that your tree is where you want it, let's do some sculpting. First you'll need at least 12 feet of string or ribbon. (It could be more or less depending on the circumference of your plant and the size of your hedge shears.)
Begin the Procedure:
- Tie a knot in your string around the uppermost part of the tree.
- Then, with the rest of the string, wrap it around your tree about three times. But if your tree is on the larger side, you may want to add an extra loop. Conversely, if it's smaller, you may want to do with one less loop.
- After you wrap your string around the tree to fit your desired shape, use your hedge shears to cut the branches, following your string or ribbon as a guide. Be sure to cut at a consistent angle so that your tree's spiral will be even.
- After cutting along your string guide to create the rough outline of a spiral, your tree will look unfinished. Don't worry! It only looks unfinished because... we're not finished.
- To finish your arbor masterpiece, you'll have to shape it. How do you do that? By rounding out the edges of your spiral. Start by rounding out the top of the tree, cutting off any extra twigs, branches, or spines that are causing an undesirable squared, choppy, or bulky look.
- Once you’ve done that, clean the underside edge of each curve in the spiral. Once again, round out the edges and eliminate any bulges to get those sexy curves you desire.
- Now clean the upper edge of each curve the same way you did for the undersides in Step 6.
- Finally, round out any bulges and the middle of each curve.
Be sure to round out any corners that give the spiral a squared look. If you find that you have taken off more than you should've, don't worry! Arborvitaes are forgiving and your “Oops” will grow back in a week or two. Your finished product should look something like this.
When you're done, your finished product will give your home the “head turning effect” you’ve been looking for. Your yard will change from DRAB:
Landscaping is sometimes underutilized in the world of curb appeal. Simple tips like these can help save you a ton of money while still creating a yard that drops jaws. A spiraled tree of this size can cost upwards of $150 at a retail tree nursery, but a little bit of DIY work on your part can save a lotta dough while also creating a beautiful focal point in your yard.
Images used with permission, courtesy of Melanie Dingeldey and www.shutterstock.com
Learn how to create a trendy and functional living room with these design tips. Whether you moved into a new home or your living room is outdated, you'll love your new room once you're finished using these decorating ideas. It's simple and fun to create a cozy and inviting space where you can relax.Jordan Milligan08 June 2018
Everyone loves a large flat screen television in their home. But, it can be tricky to know how to properly hang one. Use this helpful and easy to understand guide to learn the best ways to hang up your large television. It's not hard to do. In no time you can relax and enjoy watching television.Brian Radtke21 September 2018
Before buying a table you need to measure it to ensure it can properly accommodate you and your family and not take up too much space. With these guide you'll find everything you need to know about measuring a table and knowing whether it will work best for you and your family in your desired room.Ryan Lord30 October 2016
Are unsure what a barrel ceiling is? Check out this guide and learn the essentials behind barrel ceilings and how they can add to your home's design. Your guests will be amazed with your home once you add a barrel ceiling. It can easily make your home look more elegant and majestic.Debra Dennis16 May 2017
Design your hallway so it's not only functional but also stylish. With some paintings or photos your hallway will suddenly become more appealing and engaging. Check out these ideas on the best ways to add flair and variety to your hallway/entryway. It's easy and will quickly boost your home's look.Shannon Mayne10 September 2021
Spiraled trees can quickly boost your home's curb appeal. If you can't afford to buy one use these great landscaping tips to make your own. You need to put in a ton of effort and it'll add beauty and warmth to your yard. Find out how to easily create a spiral tree perfect for the spring time.Debra Dennis04 September 2021
Before going away there's some important things you need to do around your home to avoid having a surprise once you come home. With these helpful tips you'll easily be able to prepare your space for any vacation and won't have any issues once you come home.Betty Malley02 September 2021
A pond or waterfall allows you to enjoy the warm weather and gives your yard more beauty. It requires work but it'll be worth it once you're done. Follow these steps and in no time you'll have a soothing and quaint backyard perfect for relaxing on a warm day.Kimberly Norton15 August 2021
Outdoor showers allow you to rinse off in the warm weather and not track dirt or mud inside your home. They're great for coming back from a day at the beach. If you're unsure how to install one use these tips for advice and learn how they're very convenient and easy to install.Coleen Goodwin14 August 2021